Are postgreSQL views UPDATEable?

От Stuart Rison
Тема Are postgreSQL views UPDATEable?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

Found this snippet in a postgreSQL GENERAL posting:

>Ross J. Reedstrom <reedstrm@rice.edu> wrote
>
>Eric -
>I've redirected your question to the general list, since it seems to fit
>in there better than the sql list.  I think you're confusing mySQL's
>limitations with those of PostgreSQL (PG from here on) - PG does in fact
>support views, has for quite a while. They're even updateable.
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
What exactly does this mean?

Does you can INSERT into a view with tuples being inserted into the base
table(s) accordingly?

Does it mean you can UPDATE values in the views and values in the base
table(s) will be accordingly modified?

I have tried both and have not got either of these to work, even on single
base tables views.

I'm running PG 6.4.0.

regards,

Stuart.

| Stuart Rison            | Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research |
+-------------------------+ 91 Riding House Street               |
| Tel. (0171) 878 4041    | London, W1P 8BT, UNITED KINGDOM.     |
| Fax. (0171) 878 4040    | stuart@ludwig.ucl.ac.uk              |

От: Oleg Broytmann
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [SQL] sql 92 support in postgres
От: "David O'Farrell"
Сообщение: using Oids to retrieve a row